sovereign wealth fund institute
sovereign wealth fund banner
Sign up to the SWF Newsletter
Email:


Who reads the Sovereign Wealth Quarterly?

  • Sovereign Wealth Funds
  • Hedge Funds
  • Private Equity
  • Corporations
  • Banks & Other Financial Institutions
  • Ministries of Finance
  • Governments
  • Investment Managers
  • NGO’s
  • Legal Firms & Political Organizations
  • Academics & Libraries
  • Capital-seekers
  • Media

Government Investment Unit - Indonesia

Country: Indonesia

Established: 2006

US$ Billion: 0.34

Origin: Non-Commodity

Transparency Rating: TBD

Summary:
Also known as Pusat Investasi Pemerintah (PIP), the Government Investment Unit of Indonesia is a sovereign wealth fund managed by its Ministry of Finance. PIP can invest in a variety of asset classes such as equity, debt, infrastructure, and direct investments. Some of the PIP's goals are to increase macroeconomic stability, economic growth, and government investment.

The fund has also committed some money to work with the Qatar Investment Authority on infrastructure development.

News and Updates

1/26/2010
Indonesia Plans $1 Billion Green Fund to Battle Climate Change
Bloomberg reports that, " Indonesia, which aims to cut heat- trapping gas emissions by 26 percent by 2020, plans to set up a $1 billion fund to invest in renewable energy projects and water treatment to address the effects of climate change.The Government Investment Unit, the sovereign wealth fund, will contribute $100 million to the Indonesia Green Investment Fund, which it will oversee, Edward Gustely, a senior adviser at the Ministry of Finance in Jakarta, said in an interview. The fund, which will be set up this year, will raise the remaining $900 million from governments that have expressed interest in investing in it and institutional investors, he said. Indonesia is turning to low-carbon strategies and tapping its resources to meet demand for energy, food and water to help Southeast Asia’s biggest economy expand. About 52 percent of the 248 million population has access to electricity and about 30 percent to potable water, while 43 percent is engaged in the agriculture sector, Gustely said. "
read more: Bloomberg

5/7/2009
Indonesia’s SWF backs new private equity fund
Asian Investor reports that, "The Indonesia Clean Technology Fund is managed by CTF Partners, which is led by ex-Goldman Sachs executive Ataru Onuma. The Government Investment Unit of Indonesia, the country's de facto sovereign wealth fund, launched a new private equity fund in February this year called the Indonesia Clean Technology Fund. The investment manager appointed is Singapore-based CTF Partners, which is headed by ex-Goldman Sachs executive Ataru Onuma. The Indonesian government has agreed to act as anchor investor to the new fund with the Government Investment Unit promising a sum equal to 10% of its assets at closing. The first closing is scheduled for June 2009 and the target size is $50 million, with a final closing expected at the end of this year with a target size of $250 million. The remaining 90% will be raised from private money, including funds of private equity funds, family offices and institutional investors."
read more: Asian Investor

2/10/2009
Ant Global Partners Pte Ltd to raise $250 million Indonesia clean tech fund
Reuters reports that, "Ant Global Partners Pte Ltd, a private equity firm controlled by agricultural lender Norinchukin Bank of Japan [NORB.UL], plans to raise a $250 million clean technology fund over the next three years focused on ventures such as water treatment and renewable projects in Indonesia.

Ant Global is the Singapore-based arm of Ant Capital Partners, formerly Nikko antfactory KK, which manages about $1.4 billion in assets. Mitsubishi Corp holds a stake in Ant Capital.

'Indonesia is a very big market, with about 240 million people, accounting for two-fifths of ASEAN's population, and yet surprisingly it's an overlooked market for clean tech investment,' said Kim Jung Kyu, vice president for Ant Global Partners, on the sidelines of the Green Investment Summit 2009 in Hong Kong.

The fund is being raised in partnership with Indonesia's finance ministry. The country's sovereign wealth fund, Government Investment Unit (GIU) will raise 10 percent of the fund."
read more: Reuters

Websites

Indonesia - Ministry of Finance

1. All figures quoted are from official sources, or, where the institutions concerned do not issue statistics of their holdings, from other publicly available sources.


Fund Information Feedback: please email update@swfinstitute.org
Please read Fund Feedback Policy, only reply if you are representative of this Fund.