Job Title: Senior Investment Officer
Organization: International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Location: Beijing, China
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, is one of the leading investors and lenders in emerging markets. The mission of IFC is to promote sustainable private sector investment in developing countries, helping to reduce poverty and improve people’s lives. IFC finances private sector investments in the developing world, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses.
Global Financial Markets is IFC’s largest investment group, which is responsible for sourcing executing and supporting investment transactions in projects in the financial sector globally. We are one of the largest investors in the financial sector in emerging markets and are unique for our global perspective, development goals, long-term approach to investments, ability to leverage the resources of the entire World Bank Group, and our commitment to maximizing the value of our portfolio companies through sustained assistance. To strengthen our financial sector investment team in China, we are seeking an experienced investment officer to be based in our China Office.
As part of the regional FM team as well as the China country team, the Senior Investment Officer will lead business development, execute transactions, and actively manage portfolio projects in the financial sector. He/she will establish and maintain strong relationships, at the highest levels, with banks and non-bank financial institutions, investors as well as with governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Develop and promote IFC’s investment activities in the financial sector in China and Mongolia, as part of IFC’s overall China and Mongolia country strategies;
- Conduct analysis of and follow up on new business opportunities and liaise extensively with colleagues in local, regional and global teams;
- Lead the processing and booking of new investment deals, including due diligence, internal credit and other approvals, and negotiations with the clients;
- Assess investments from financial, technology/operations, management and governance viewpoints;
- Coordinate with all relevant units, including advisory services, legal, credit, product, and environmental and social, to structure, strengthen, document and close equity, debt and structured finance investments;
- Manage assigned portfolio of existing investment projects and pro-actively develop the relationship to add value to project clients and extract value for IFC;
- Mentor junior investment staff in the IFC China and Mongolia country offices and proactively support their development;
- Participate in China office’s activities and carry out IFC work related initiatives/duties as requested by China country manager;
- Contribute to IFC’s repository of industry specific know-how, key industry ratios, lessons learned, and other tools for better and more efficient decision-making.
The job holders would be based in IFC’s Beijing (China) office. Women are encouraged to apply. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. For Corporate information, please visit www.ifc.org. Please be aware that only selected candidates will be contacted.
Only online applications are accepted. Email applications will neither be acknowledged nor accepted. All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3-year term appointment.