DAILY DOSE: February 19, 2021
Posted on 02/19/2021
1. Bitcoin’s market value reached US$ 1 trillion for the first time. Speculators, corporate treasurers, and institutional investors are thought to have impacted Bitcoin’s valuation. Bitcoin (BTC) traded at US$ 53,038 as of 10.10 a.m. ET, having risen around 1.9% over the previous 24 hours. The world’s biggest cryptocurrency has added more than $400 billion of value just in 2021.
The Purpose Bitcoin ETF (ticker BTCC), invests directly in “physical/digital Bitcoin,” issuer Purpose Investments Inc. said in a statement. The Bitcoin ETF had a debut with investors exchanging US$ 165 million worth of shares.
2. Iran says the U.S. must first return to the 2015 nuclear deal and lift sanctions if it wants to begin talks with Iran. U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration is willing to meet with Iran to discuss a “diplomatic way forward” in efforts to return to the nuclear deal.
3. Buckingham Palace confirms that Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, will not be returning to royal duties. In addition, Harry will give up his honorary military titles.
4. French President Macron says regulation of the digital sector is key for democracy.
5. Currently, the U.S. is administering 1.6 million COVID vaccine doses a day.
6. ERCOT is moving from emergency alert level 3 to level 2. ERCOT says the system is recovering.
7. Accuweather says the cold freeze inflicted US$ 50 billion of damage.
8. Uber Technologies Inc. lost a U.K. Supreme Court ruling over the rights of its drivers. The judges unanimously ruled that Uber drivers are “workers”. These “workers” are entitled to rights such as minimum wage, holiday pay, and rest breaks.
9. On Wednesday, popular U.S. conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh died of lung cancer of the age of 70.
10. Remember the SHAQ ATTACK? A team of former Walt Disney Company executives have teamed up with NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal. The group formed a SPAC called Forest Road Acquisition Corp II.