According to the press release, “During a meeting held today as part of the China-Russia Investment and Trade Forum, First Deputy Prime Minister of Russia Igor Shuvalov and Executive Vice-Premier of the State Council of China Li Keqiang announced the dates to create the Russia-China Investment Fund and outlined the sectors earmarked for the first investments.
“By creating the Russia-China Investment Fund, the RDIF and China Investment Corporation will once again highlight the strong results of economic cooperation between Russia and China,” Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), said during the meeting between Igor Shuvalov and Li Keqiang. “The Fund’s capital is planned to reach USD 4 billion, with the RDIF and China Investment Corporation each contributing USD 1 billion and the remaining USD 2 billion coming from other Chinese institutional investors. The Fund is to be established by the end of June 2012.”
Mr Dmitriev also outlined industries to receive the first investments: these will include engineering, agriculture, forest and timber industries, transportation, and logistics. “Special attention will be given to energy efficiency and energy saving projects”, he added. “Up to 70 per cent of the Fund’s capital will be invested in businesses and projects across Russia and other CIS countries, and the remaining 30 per cent will focus on Chinese businesses and projects with Russian involvement. The Russian economy might see hundreds of millions of dollars in joint investments from Russia and China as early as the end of 2012.”
RDIF executives and China Investment Corporation also met today to hold talks led by CIC Chairman and CEO Lou Jiwei.
To manage the Fund, a Management Company is currently being established, with the RDIF and CIC as the founders controlling 60 and 40 per cent of the equity, respectively. The RDIF will nominate most of the key executives for the Management Company while also supervising the activities to search, select, analyse and evaluate investment projects appealing for the Fund.”
Read more: RDIF Press Release
Private equity firm BC Partners hired Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and JPMorgan Chase & Co. to advise on the sales of Acuris. Acuris is a collection of financial news and data sites, which includes Mergermarket, Dealreporter, and Debtwire. In 2017, BC Partners sold around a 30% stake in GIC Private Limited.
Before the rebranding to Acuris, Mergermarket was part of The Financial Times Group until 2013 when it was sold off to BC Partners.
Aflac Inc. is an American insurance company founded in 1955. The company is the biggest provider of supplemental insurance in the United States. Aflac also has major operations in Japan.
In December 2018, Japan Post Holdings (JPHLF) signaled it was spending US$ 2.64 billion for a 7-8 % stake in Aflac. The goal is that, in four years time, Aflac will become an affiliate of Japan Post. Japan Post hopes to accomplish this by becoming the largest voting shareholder of the company. The world’s 13th largest company, with 400,000 employees, Japan Post needs to expand to chase further growth, mainly because Japan Post expects the postal business to decline. Diversification is seen as the optimal route to long term stability for the holding company. Japan’s economy is worrying. Japan’s aging population means that many insurance companies are facing a shrinking customer base, Japan Post settled on a plan to expand overseas.
[ Content protected for Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute Standard subscribers only. Please subscribe to view content. ]
The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) and the Development Agency of Serbia, also known as Razvojna agencija Srbije, reached an agreement to work together to identify attractive investment projects to strengthen bilateral economic ties and increase investment flows between Russia and Serbia. Russian capital and businesses are keen on investing in Serbia.
In addition, the two countries signed an agreement to cooperate on civil nuclear energy, according to state-owned Russian reactor builder Rosatom (Rosatom State Nuclear Energy Corporation). Rosatom continues to expand it business of nuclear cooperation deals in a wide number of countries.
3 weeks ago
Warburg Pincus Digs into Mainland Chinese Real Estate
4 weeks ago
East Timor President Vetoes Decree as Forces Wrangle over Natural Gas Fields
3 weeks ago
Michael Maduell – Bold Predictions for 2019
4 weeks ago
GIC-Backed Data Center Platform Competes in Virginia’s Data Center Alley
3 weeks ago
Saudi Real Estate Refinance Company Creates 11 Billion Riyal Sukuk Program
1 week ago
Caisse des Depots Raises Second Massive French Residential Property Fund
3 weeks ago
New World Development Company Buys FTLife from JD Group
2 weeks ago
Bridgewater Associates to Outsource Some Corporate Functions to Genpact